Women applying for jobs
Women have to meet more qualifications than men. McKinsey reports that men are judged by their abilities and women on their experience and results. Women are also highly socialized to follow rules and are rewarded for this constantly at school and university. This causes them to apply for jobs they don’t 100% qualify for more rarely or not at all. And because they’re not part of the Old Boy Network, women have to prove they’re up to the job through their education, qualifications, experience and results.
Source: research by Tara Sophia More
Your Trainer Mildred Talabi
Mildred Talabi has been a renowned “CV Makeover Expert” for more than a decade, helping mid/senior level professionals change jobs or attract new clients and/or business opportunities via CV and LinkedIn profile makeovers.
She is a well-known careers speaker and trainer who has delivered talks and workshop sessions for universities, local councils and private organisations, as well as at public events.
Mildred is also the author of two career books, “7 Keys to a Winning CV: How to create a CV that gets results” and “The Science of Successful Job Hunting: Practical strategies for landing ANY job you want”. She has written career articles for mainstream publications, including The Guardian and Financial Times, and has appeared on radio and TV to offer expert advice on career topics.
Worked for (amongst others): The Guardian, Google, Speakers Trust, HindLeap, myHRCareers, Southampton Solent University, University of Salford, GSM London, The Peter Jones Enterprise Academy at Solihull College, Lancaster University and West Thames College.
Do you want to move on from your current job but don’t know where to start? Are you applying for jobs and getting nowhere? Contrary to popular belief, successful job hunting is not about luck, chance or hope, successful job hunting is a science – in other words, there is a way to do it right!
In this dynamic training session, you will learn how to write relevant and compelling CVs, LinkedIn profiles and job application forms that will get you shortlisted, how to impress in a job interview, and other simple strategies that will help you avoid the most common pitfalls of job hunting and experience your own job hunting success.
• how and where to find the right jobs
• how to read and analyse job adverts
• effective CV preparation
• effective cover letter and application form supporting statement preparation
• winning interview techniques
Max. 20 participants
Duration: 3 hours
Course materials included.
Successful job hunting requires an understanding of the job hunting process and the tools required to set you apart from other candidates.
In this masterclass, you will be guided through the individual steps required to make your job hunting a success – from CV writing to interview preparation.
• how to overcome common challenges in the application process (e.g. career gaps, changing industries)
• how to craft your CV into one that “sells” your skills and experience
• how to write a cover letter and supporting statement that wins the employer over
• how to use LinkedIn to effectively market your personal brand for job purposes
• how to showcase your best self during the interview process
The masterclass will be divided into three sessions as follows:
Part 1: your CV (3 hours)
• The purpose of a CV and how employers think
• The different types of CVs and which one to use
• How to order and present your CV for the most impact
• How to write an engaging intro that will capture the employer’s attention
• How to find and showcase your skills and key achievements
• How to communicate your career history to give you the edge
• How to present your educational qualifications so that they work for you
• What to put in your interests and activities section
• How to avoid the common mistakes many people make on their CVs
Part 2: Your LinkedIn profile (2 hours)
• Understand Linkedin as a career tool
• Craft a professional and engaging headline, summary and profile to increase your visibility among recruiters and hiring managers
• How to use LinkedIn to effectively market your personal brand
• How to leverage endorsements, recommendations and status updates for boosting your profile
• How to use LinkedIn Pulse to showcase your expertise and grow your status as an expert or thought leader
• How to nurture your connections (network) for better LinkedIn success
Part 3: Your Interview preparation (3 hours)
With the assistance of trainings actor, you will have the opportunity to role play different job interview scenarios to give you the best chance of success.
• How to REALLY engage a conversation
• How to ‘read’ people in interview settings
• How to show your best side
• The best listening techniques
• Nonverbal status techniques and how to reach an equal conversation level quickly
• How to clearly and powerfully put into words what drives you
• Experience different kinds of interviewing techniques and interviewers and learn how to respond accordingly
• Full recording and analysis of your interview practice
• Feedback from the trainers and your fellow participants
Max. 6 participants
Duration: 3 sessions of 4-4 and 2 hours, 8 hours in total
Training actor and course materials are included.
It is also possible to have a tailor-made one-on-one coaching session. You decide on topics and content of this session together with the trainer. The coaching session is set to a convenient date and time for both you and the trainer.
Just 1 participant
Duration: at least 3 hours